Welcome to The Weekly Postcard Travel Blog Link-up!
Just like the postman once delivered updates from friends and family traveling around the world, The Weekly Postcard delivers posts from travel bloggers all over the globe every week!
A Brief Introduction
Have you ever gotten a song stuck in your head?
It’s like a heat wave, burning in my heart. Can’t keep from crying; it’s tearing me apart.
Linda Ronstadt is my homie (we share a hometown), so her version is the one in my head. And it’s there because I can’t seem to escape the heatwaves baking the US of A!
What is one to do when the mercury is over 100F? The only sensible thing: Stay by the air conditioner! Thankfully, we have this refreshingly cool dispatch from The Weekly Postcard to help us (at least mentally) escape from reality! Use the links up above to navigate through this page, or just scroll down to see our favorites from last week, and all the new travel blog posts, including ours: It’s all about sightseeing when it’s super-hot outside. Kind of like this summer! (Imagine that…)
Thanks for joining us. Enjoy The Weekly Postcard Travel Blog Link-up!
Let’s Get this Party Started!
Highlights from The Weekly Postcard
Regular readers know that we like having a theme, and this week’s theme is one we can all sink our teeth into: Food & Drink! We couldn’t help but notice that some of our regular contributors had this common thread last week. We would say it was very satisfying to read their posts but, really, they only made us hungry. Ravenous, in fact. Read on, and see if that doesn’t happen to you, too.
Also, tying to the earlier theme of being a really hot summer (up above, if you missed it), we’re showing off our post about sightseeing when it’s sweltering. We have tips and a really important warning for you. Please do take a look!
Pasta and Italy, two of our favorite words! Sara at Journey of Doing put them together for a post on their Fresh Pasta Cooking Class in Florence, Italy. Honestly, this is something Rob’s always wanted to do…and Ann’s always hoped he would, because she loves her some pasta! Not sure if it’s for you? This post will help you decide, and then have you deciding it’s pasta for dinner!
If we seem to feature our friend David at travelsewhere frequently, it’s probably because the man knows just how to get our attention. For example, his post 7 Things to Know about Drinking Beer in Belgium! We want to drink beer in Belgium, and we want to look like savvy international travelers (like David) when we do it. So heck yes, let’s read this one! Wait, let’s get a beer first. 😊
- Confession: The first thing we do when we get into a new city is find a good bakery or patisserie. (You too?) No surprise then that we clicked on California Globetrotter’s post with a picture of a cream puff (sorry…Windbeutel) all up in our face! And then she showed us, well, the Ultimate Foodie Guide to Germany! Warning: Pretty sure we put on a few pounds just scrolling through the pictures.
- Finally, and not keeping with the foodie theme, our post was inspired by our time sightseeing during a record heatwave. When you travel halfway across a country to see something (looking at you, Lady Liberty!), something like a measly record-setting heatwave shouldn’t stop you. But it can, in a deadly kind of way, so we have some tips and precautions for Sightseeing in the Summer.
See The Weekly Postcard on Pinterest!
If you see something you like, Pin it! See something you missed? Click on the Pin to read the post. We keep this archive for you, so feel free to use it!
How Does The Weekly Postcard Work?
There’s a new batch of blogs ready for reading every Friday afternoon. You can find them on TravelLatte, and at our co-hosts: Travel Notes and Beyond, Toddlers on Tour, Two Traveling Texans, and California Globetrotter.
Each one of us will have links to all of that week’s featured blogs. Find a few that look interesting, and click to read – it’s really that simple! Don’t forget to leave a comment – bloggers love comments, and that’s how we build a community of like-minded travel lovers! Feel free to share with your friends on Social Media, too. You can Pin, Tweet, or share on Facebook right from the thumbnails, or from each post you click on. I know all of the bloggers truly appreciate it when you read and share.
What if I have a blog, too?
Then join the fun! Participating in #TheWeeklyPostcard is a great way to reach new readers, and build your comments and social shares. Plus, you get to know some of your fellow travel bloggers, network, and learn about tons of destinations, travel tips, and more.
Housekeeping Rules for Bloggers
- Can I use an older blog post?
- Sure! #TheWeeklyPostcard is a great way to show off a new post, but also to show an older piece some love.
- Does it have to be travel related?
- Well, it is about travel, so yeah. Show off your favorite destination. Teach us how to take a train or save money on airfare. Tell us your favorite travel tips. You get the idea! Posts that are not travel related may be removed.
- Where do I get that snazzy badge for #TheWeeklyPostcard?
- We know, it’s cool! And it’s easy: Just copy the badge html code (from the gray box on the page where you add your link) into your editing program. You can add it to the bottom of your page or in a sidebar.
- Uhm, that code thing isn’t working for me.
- No worries. If you have issues adding the code, add the badge as a picture and include text saying that you have linked up with #TheWeeklyPostcard, along with a link back to one of the co-host’s blogs.
- Do I have to add the badge?
- You want people to know you’re part of the cool crowd, right? The badge helps get the word out and identify community members. Having the badge on your sight lets readers know you’re part of an established, respected community of travel experts. Plus, posts without a badge will be removed.
- When can I add my post?
- #TheWeeklyPostcard opens each Friday at 12n Pacific / 3pm Eastern, and closes on Sunday at 3pm Pacific / 6pm Eastern.
- Anything else?
- You can help spread the word by using the hashtag (#TheWeeklyPostcard) in your tweets. We will like and re-tweet your Tweets when we see the hashtag, and encourage everyone to do the same.
Helpful Hints for Bloggers
- Be sure to include a nice, tall portrait-orientation Pin so everyone can add you to their Pinterest boards! Here at TravelLatte, we’ll use that to add you to our board for #TheWeeklyPostcard, and may feature you on next week’s roundup!
- When you do make a Pin for your post, be sure to give it a name that includes the post title, blog name, and keywords. That will help your Pin (and post) travel farther.
- Not up with the Pinterest? No worries, but do try to include at least one portrait orientation image that people can use if they’d like to Pin your post.
- Be sure your posts have your Social Media channels, so readers can find and follow you right from The Weekly Postcard linkup!