Welcome to #TheWeeklyPostcard!
We are going out on a limb here and guessing that you love to travel, just like we do. For us, the next best thing is reading about travel! We get inspiration for trips, discover new destinations, and learn great tips from travel bloggers all around the world. That’s why we are excited to co-host #TheWeeklyPostcard, a “Link Up” that’s all about travel featuring some of the best bloggers on the planet!
If you’re new to blog link-ups, or want more info about participating in The Weekly Postcard with your blog, you’ll find details below. But first, we wanted to share our post from last week, and a few or our favorites, in case you missed them!
Recently, we have seen a lot of questions and comments about Washington, DC. Our nation’s capital is a popular summer destination, and it’s one of our favorite places to go any time of year. So we wanted to share our 5 Washington DC Do’s and Don’ts, a collection of tips we’ve learned first-hand during our trips to explore the amazing monuments and museums on the National Mall. Speaking of amazing, these were our favorite features on the last edition of The Weekly Postcard:
- Our fabulous co-hosts Two Traveling Texans took our breath away on Niagara Falls: A Helicopter Ride to Remember! We would love to do that ourselves, and we got some great tips that we will use. We’re not the only ones who liked this post, as more participants commented on this post than any other this past week!
- Dotted Line Travels took our breath away, too, with a whirlwind Itinerary for Two Weeks in Italy! Lots of great sights to see in a virtual highlight reel of Italian cities.
- Like many people, we harbor a (not so) secret desire to pack up the camper van and escape! Only, we don’t actually have a camper van. We do, however, love to live vicariously through blogs like Paul & Carole Love to Travel when they post great stories like their review of the South Lytchett Manor Caravan and Camping Park! We especially loved the video tour.
By the way, this past week was the biggest blog link up since we’ve been involved in #TheWeeklyPostcard! Many thanks to all the great bloggers who participate! You can find them on the Pinterest board below, and at The Weekly Postcard on TravelLatte. If you have a favorite from last week – or this week – be sure to share it on Social Media, and let us know in the comments.
Let’s Get this Party Started!
How Does It Work?
There’s a new batch of blogs ready for reading every Friday afternoon. You can find them on TravelLatte, and at our co-hosts: Travel Notes and Beyond, Toddlers on Tour, Two Traveling Texans, and California Globetrotter.
Each one of us will have links to all of that week’s featured blogs. Find a few that look interesting, and click to read – it’s really that simple! Don’t forget to leave a comment – bloggers love comments, and that’s how we build a community of like-minded travel lovers! Feel free to share with your friends on Social Media, too. You can Pin, Tweet, or share on Facebook right from the thumbnails, or from each post you click on. I know all of the bloggers truly appreciate it when you read and share.
What if I have a blog, too?
Then join the fun! Participating in #TheWeeklyPostcard is a great way to reach new readers, and build your comments and social shares. Plus, you get to know some of your fellow travel bloggers, network, and learn about tons of destinations, travel tips, and more.
Housekeeping Rules for Bloggers
- Can I use an older blog post?
- Sure! #TheWeeklyPostcard is a great way to show off a new post, but also to show an older piece some love.
- Does it have to be travel related?
- Well, it is about travel, so yeah. Show off your favorite destination. Teach us how to take a train or save money on airfare. Tell us your favorite travel tips. You get the idea! Posts that are not travel related may be removed.
- Where do I get that snazzy badge for #TheWeeklyPostcard?
- We know, it’s cool! And it’s easy: Just copy the badge html code (from the gray box on the page where you add your link) into your editing program. You can add it to the bottom of your page or in a sidebar.
- Uhm, that code thing isn’t working for me.
- No worries. If you have issues adding the code, add the badge as a picture and then include text saying that you have linked your post up with #TheWeeklyPostcard, along with a link back to one of the co-host’s blogs.
- Do I have to add the badge?
- You want people to know you’re part of the cool crowd, right? The badge helps get the word out and identify community members. Having the badge on your sight lets readers know you’re part of an established, respected community of travel experts. Plus, posts without a badge will be removed.
- When can I add my post?
- #TheWeeklyPostcard opens each Friday at 12 noon Pacific / 3pm Eastern, and closes on Sunday at 3pm Pacific / 6pm Eastern.
- When can I comment?
- Whenever you’d like! #TheWeeklyPostcard works best when you comment and share on posts before the next link-up opens. That gives you up to a week, but feel free to add comments and Tweet your favorites anytime. We do ask that you comment on at least three other blogs.
- Anything else?
- You can help spread the word about #TheWeeklyPostcard by tweeting when you share a post, using the hashtag #TheWeeklyPostcard! We will like and re-tweet your Tweets when we see the hashtag, and encourage everyone to do the same.
Helpful Hints for Bloggers
- Be sure to include a nice, tall portrait-orientation Pin so everyone can add you to their Pinterest boards! Here at TravelLatte, we’ll use that to add you to our board for #TheWeeklyPostcard, and may feature you on next week’s roundup!
- When you do make a Pin for your post, be sure to give it a name that includes the post title, blog name, and keywords. That will help your Pin (and post) travel farther.
- Not up with the Pinterest? No worries, but do try to include at least one portrait orientation image that people can use if they’d like to Pin your post.
- Be sure your posts have your Social Media channels, so readers can find and follow you right from The Weekly Postcard linkup!