#Travel140 Travel Tips
How to Juggle Work & Travel
The best part of jobs that combine travel with work is that you can travel while you work. The worst part is that you have to work while you travel.
It can’t be helped: Sometimes you have to hunker down with your laptop and get stuff done. Just don’t let that make you a hermit in your hotel room! Get out of the business centers and conference rooms and go find a local café with free wi-fi. (Just be sure you have a VPN to secure your connection!)
Rules on the Road
It’s the best of both worlds! You can see some of the city, meet a few locals, and get that presentation polished up. Just remember a few rules:
- You are working, and it takes some discipline to work in a public space.
- You are in a public space. Don’t open anything that’s confidential out in the wild.
- Free Wi-Fi is good. A VPN is better. Secure your browsing with a Virtual Private Network. If your company doesn’t provide one, this article from PC Mag can help you find one.
- Practice good phone etiquette. Don’t be “that guy” on a conference call.
- Don’t be a total mooch. Buy some coffee, maybe a pastry, and leave a tip in exchange for the office space and Wi-Fi.
We’d love to hear about your experiences juggling work and travel! Feel free to share your favorite tips, too. We’ll re-post the best, so be sure to include your Twitter handle and a link to your blog, if you have one. Or click for more #Travel140!