#Travel140 #TravelTip: A simple pillowcase may be the most useful thing to pack in your carry-on.
According to the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, “A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have.” If that’s true, a pillowcase is a close second*. It takes far less space in your carry on, and has far more practical uses. Here are a few of our travel-tested favorites:
- Stuff it with a sweater or jacket for an instant pillow.
- Cover the train / airplane headrest, where thousands of other heads have rested.
- Stuff with dirty clothes as you go.
- Pinch hit for a scarf.
- Replace that questionable hotel / hostel pillowcase.
- Emergency “hobo-style” bag.
- An extra layer when the airplane gets extra chilly.
When it comes to travel, gear that performs multiple functions is invaluable.
A simple pillowcase does more than enough to earn its place in your carry-on, while taking up little precious space. A towel, maybe not so much. (Apologies to Douglas Adams.)
*If you feel like we’ve taken exception with Douglas Adams’ towel assertions before, you are right. And very observant. We also chose the Pashmina shawl as being more useful than a towel.
Feel free to share your favorite travel tips with a Comment, or click here for more #Travel140!