Sir Richard Branson, CEO of the Virgin universe, is often branded a maverick and is known for his sense of humor. He and his companies seem to relish in finding unconventional ways to deal with the mundane, such as the elaborate stories customers concoct in hopes of getting an upgrade or other flight perk. Most airlines let those emails go quietly into the ether. But, of course, Virgin Atlantic is not most airlines.
The British airline surveyed ground staff and cabin crew to collect the most hilarious and ingenious appeals from flyers hoping to receive a complimentary upgrade to the coveted upper class and premium economy cabins, and posted the results right on its blog for all the world to see. Of course, neither Branson nor Virgin would be satisfied with that bit of fun. Why not solicit even more oddball requests for upgraded service? And here’s a new twist (as if this whole idea wasn’t novel enough): Let’s pick a winner and actually grant their upgrade!
That’s exactly what’s happening with Virgin Atlantic’s #BestRequest contest on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Just send in your most outrageous, creative request for an upgrade on an upcoming Virgin flight. Who knows? You just might find yourself in upper class with Sir Richard himself!
- Four winners will receive a one-way, single cabin upgrade for themselves and a guest.
- Entrants must be 18 or older on the day of entry.
- The Winner and the Guest must hold an existing flight booking at the Closing Time (as defined below) on any direct Virgin Atlantic route and must travel together. (If the Winner wishes to travel alone, the second upgrade will be forfeited.)
- To enter, send your most creative upgrade request using the hashtag #BestRequest to Virgin Atlantic through Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
- One entry per person, regardless of method of entry. Note: You can enter as often as you want, but only your last entry will be considered.
- Entries must be received by 11.59 PM (UK time) on 31 August 2015.
- Entries will be judge by a panel of three judges who will consider several factors, including creativity, how entertaining the entry is, and the entrant’s social influence.
- Rules: The Virgin Atlantic Blog
Good luck and happy hashtagging!