Welcome to #TheWeeklyPostcard!
Welcome to another weekend! After an unseasonably cool July at our home base in north Texas, our mercury climbed back up to 100 this week. That must be Mother Nature’s not so subtle reminder that these are “dog days of summer” still. To escape the heat this weekend, we will be visiting some local “hot spots” (with air conditioning!) for an upcoming series for travelers visiting our locale.
Meanwhile, The Weekly Postcard brought us lots of great blog posts from all around the world! We were joined by a steady stream of regular contributors, and welcomed a few new travel bloggers, including Mich Wanderlust, Grey World Nomads, and Travels Radar. Also, a warm welcome to Kana at Life in Wanderlust who joined us last week.
If you’re new to blog link-ups, or want more info about participating in The Weekly Postcard with your blog, you’ll find details below. We have some tips for bloggers to make the most of the link up, too. But first, we wanted to share a few or our favorites and our own post from last week, in case you missed them!
A Few of our Favorites
- We are still basking in the afterglow of our trip to Belize. The small country has a lot to offer! We attempted to summarize the Best of Belize, from reef to ruins, and encourage everyone to visit this Central American beauty!
- Beautiful destinations seemed to be a theme this week! Ladies What Travel gave us a wonderful look at a lesser-known region of Spain – and totally hooked us – with Highlights of Castellon, Spain. This seaside Spanish province looks wonderful!
- Our friend Ruth at Tanama Tales is one of the more popular bloggers at The Weekly Postcard, and she hit it out of the part this week with her visit to Colmar: A Fairytale Village You Should Not Miss. Gorgeous is an understatement!
- Narrowing down our favorites was a real challenge this week, but the rugged beauty of the Maltese island of Gozo is a must see that not a lot of people do. Our buddy David at travelsewhere took us along to Explore the Island with 4 Wonderful Hikes on Gozo that showcase the natural wonderland.
See more of The Weekly Postcard on Pinterest!
If you have a favorite from last week – or this week – be sure to share it on Social Media, and let us know in the comments.
Let’s Get this Party Started!
How Does It Work?
There’s a new batch of blogs ready for reading every Friday afternoon. You can find them on TravelLatte, and at our co-hosts: Travel Notes and Beyond, Toddlers on Tour, Two Traveling Texans, and California Globetrotter.
Each one of us will have links to all of that week’s featured blogs. Find a few that look interesting, and click to read – it’s really that simple! Don’t forget to leave a comment – bloggers love comments, and that’s how we build a community of like-minded travel lovers! Feel free to share with your friends on Social Media, too. You can Pin, Tweet, or share on Facebook right from the thumbnails, or from each post you click on. I know all of the bloggers truly appreciate it when you read and share.
What if I have a blog, too?
Then join the fun! Participating in #TheWeeklyPostcard is a great way to reach new readers, and build your comments and social shares. Plus, you get to know some of your fellow travel bloggers, network, and learn about tons of destinations, travel tips, and more.
Housekeeping Rules for Bloggers
- Can I use an older blog post?
- Sure! #TheWeeklyPostcard is a great way to show off a new post, but also to show an older piece some love.
- Does it have to be travel related?
- Well, it is about travel, so yeah. Show off your favorite destination. Teach us how to take a train or save money on airfare. Tell us your favorite travel tips. You get the idea! Posts that are not travel related may be removed.
- Where do I get that snazzy badge for #TheWeeklyPostcard?
- We know, it’s cool! And it’s easy: Just copy the badge html code (from the gray box on the page where you add your link) into your editing program. You can add it to the bottom of your page or in a sidebar.
- Uhm, that code thing isn’t working for me.
- No worries. If you have issues adding the code, add the badge as a picture and then include text saying that you have linked your post up with #TheWeeklyPostcard, along with a link back to one of the co-host’s blogs.
- Do I have to add the badge?
- You want people to know you’re part of the cool crowd, right? The badge helps get the word out and identify community members. Having the badge on your sight lets readers know you’re part of an established, respected community of travel experts. Plus, posts without a badge will be removed.
- When can I add my post?
- #TheWeeklyPostcard opens each Friday at 12 noon Pacific / 3pm Eastern, and closes on Sunday at 3pm Pacific / 6pm Eastern.
- Anything else?
- You can help spread the word about #TheWeeklyPostcard by tweeting with the hashtag #TheWeeklyPostcard! We will like and re-tweet your Tweets when we see the hashtag, and encourage everyone to do the same.
Helpful Hints for Bloggers
- Be sure to include a nice, tall portrait-orientation Pin so everyone can add you to their Pinterest boards! Here at TravelLatte, we’ll use that to add you to our board for #TheWeeklyPostcard, and may feature you on next week’s roundup!
- When you do make a Pin for your post, be sure to give it a name that includes the post title, blog name, and keywords. That will help your Pin (and post) travel farther.
- Not up with the Pinterest? No worries, but do try to include at least one portrait orientation image that people can use if they’d like to Pin your post.
- Be sure your posts have your Social Media channels, so readers can find and follow you right from The Weekly Postcard linkup!